The news of longtime Phillies’ broadcaster Harry Kalas and former pitcher Mark “The Bird” Fidrych is just sad and puts a damper on the game. Here’s a long at Kalas and Fidrych’s career highlights.
Harry Kalas 1936-2009
- Called six no-hitters.
- Called Mike Schmidt’s 500th home run.
- Every Steve Carlton start.
- Pete Rose’s 3,631st hit.
- First games at the Houston Astrodome, Veteran’s Stadium and Citizens Bank Park.
- 43rd season as a MLB broadcaster and also done NFL voice-overs.
Mark “The Bird” Fidrych
- Debut on April 20, 1976.
- Final game October 1, 1980.
- 1976 AL Rookie of the Year 19-9, with a 2.34 ERA.
- Fidrych’s claim to fame was that he would appear talking to the baseball and groom the pitcher’s mound.
Until then, see ya at the park!